“September 26 Today’s: Famous Birthdays
1774 - John Chapman was born. He was better known as Johnny Appleseed. He planted orchards, befriended wild animals, and was considered at great medicine man by Native Americans.”
He was born in my town. I know waaay too much about him cause I used to work at the visitor’s center. He was a relegious nut who set up farms and never wore a pot on his head.
“1777 - Philadelphia was occupied by British troops during the American Revolutionary War.
1789 - Thomas Jefferson was appointed America’s first Secretary of State. John Jay was appointed the first chief justice of the U.S. Samuel Osgood was appointed the first Postmaster-General. Edmund Jennings Randolph was appointed the first Attorney General.
1892 - “The King of Marches” was introduced to the general public.
1908 - Ed Eulbach of the Chicago Cubs became the first baseball player to pitch both games of a doubleheader and win both with shutouts.
1908 - In “The Saturday Evening Post” an ad for the Edison Phonograph appeared.
1914 - The U.S. Federal Trade Commission was established.
1918 - During World War I, the Meuse-Argonne offensive against the Germans began. It was the final Allied offensive on the western front.
1950 - U.N. troops recaptured the South Korean capital of Seoul from the North Koreans during the Korean Conflict.
1955 - The New York Stock Exchange suffered its worst decline since 1929 when the word was released concerning U.S. President Eisenhower’s heart attack.
1960 - The first televised debate between presidential candidates Richard M. Nixon and John F. Kennedy took place in Chicago, IL.
^^^The reason Nixon lost the election….
1962 - “The Beverly Hillbillies” premiered on CBS-TV.
1964 - “Gilligan’s Island” premiered on CBS-TV. The show aired for the last time on September 4, 1967.
1969 - “The Brady Bunch” series premiered on ABC-TV.
That is kinda awesome. Mad famous shows all on the same day. A random day I decide to check out. Word.
1980 - The Cuban government abruptly closed Mariel Harbor to end the freedom flotilla of Cuban refugees that began the previous April.
1981 - The Boeing 767 made its maiden flight in Everett, WA.
1984 - Britain and China initialed a draft agreement on the future of Hong Kong when the Chinese take over ruling the British Colony.
1985 - Shamu was born at Sea World in Orlando, FL. Shamu was the first killer whale to survive being born in captivity.
HAPPY BDAY SHAMU!
1986 - The episode of “Dallas” that had Bobby Ewing returning from the dead was aired.
1986 - William H. Rehnquist became chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court following the retirement of Warren Burger.
1990 - The Motion Picture Association of America announced that it had created a new rating. The new NC17 rating was to keep moviegoers under the age of 17 from seeing certain films.
1991 - Four men and four women began their two-year stay inside the “Biosphere II.” The project was intended to develop technology for future space colonies.
1991 - The U.S. Congress heard a plea from Kimberly Bergalis concerning mandatory AIDS testing for health care workers.
1992 - 163 people were killed when a Nigerian military transport crashed shortly after takeoff.
1993 - The eight people who had stayed in “Biosphere II” emerged from their sealed off environment.
1995 - The warring factions of Bosnia agreed on guidelines for elections and a future government.
1996 - Richard Allen Davis, the killer of 12-year-old Polly Klaas, was sentenced to death in San Jose, CA.
1996 - Shannon Lucid returned to Earth after being in space for 188 days. she set a time record for a U.S. astronaut in space and in the world for time spent by a woman in space.
1997 - In Indonesia, a Garuda Airlines Airbus crashed killing 234 people.
2000 - The U.S. House of Representatives passed the Born-Alive Infants Protection Act. The act states that an infant would be considered to have been born alive if he or she is completely extracted or expelled from the mother and breathes and has a beating heart and definite movement of the voluntary muscles.
2000 - Slobodan Milosevic conceded that Vojislav Kostunica had won Yugoslavia’s presidential election and declared a runoff. The declared runoff prompted mass protests.
2001 - In Kabul, Afghanistan, the abandoned U.S. Embassy was stormed by protesters. It was the largest anti-Amercian protest since the terror attacks on New York City and Washington, DC, on September 11.
2001 - Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres announced plans to formalize a cease-fire and end a year of fighting in the region.
2001 - In New York City, hundreds of people began the process of filing for death certificates for family members still missing in the ruins of the World Trade Center. At the time more than 6,300 people were still missing. “
Favorites and shit
- Weeds - Loving the new season. I was watching older episodes and cannot belive how much character growth/development Shane has gone through, even if Nancy is still doing her same old routine. Andy continues to make me laugh my ass off. The starting over a new life schpeal was excellently executed.
- Gossip Girl - NEW EPISODE OMG FLEUR FROM HP4 IS DATING CHUCK WTF? All I know is this shit is getting intense. But I do prefer having Jenny as our fourth main girl rather than Georgina. G just frustrates the shit out of me. Maybe it is because I still cannot get over the fact that she is Harriet the Spy but grown up and bitched out. She infuriates me. And clearly Dan should ahve gone to HIS doctor and got his own paternity test. Poor Blair, I really feel for her always being in Serena’s shadow but she totally sabotaged herself with the Prince thing. She’s such a complicated character to root for, one second you see the artsy romantic good side of her, then the bitchy I want what I want side. Gah.
- 90210 - been addicted to old episodes lately. Ever since watching mad nip/tuck I decided Annalynne Mccord was a good enough actress to grab my interest in the show. Another infuriating character, aka Naomi’s sister Jen, makes me want to jump into the TV and rip out her jugular with how she twists shit around but obvvvvv its the story line to I cant get too frustrated. I just hope by the end of season 2 (I’m on episode 10) she gets her cummuppances.
- Project Runway - The last episode was genius but I was so sad to see Casanova go because he added so much flavor to the show. I’ve also been watching old episodes where they have to turn non-fabricy things into garments. It’s pretty intense.
- I MISS PRETTY LITTLE LIARS! It was my summer guilty pleasure.
- ANTM has started up again and I really have no idea how the hell they are gonna make these girls good enough to be on the cover of Italian Vouge. Really? Highly doubt it. That such a big giant prize its kinda crazy. Whateverrr.
More premiers to come and blah blah tv is awesome.
Soo, now Kumar and the farmer from Babe have been spotted. I loveeeee how everyone is on this show.
24 is awesome. People from all my favorite shows keep popping up.
I’m only on season 4 and already ive seen the bad guy from The Mummy, Hodgins from Bones, Blairrr Waldorf, Jin &Desmond&&Widmore& the annoying preggos eggtown bitch& bens dad from LOST, Jigsaw, zachary quinto, the guy who always plays a sherriff, and who knows who else.
its like a party, but at the ends everyone dies. most likely they will get killed by jack bauer.